Bradley D. Apsey purchased the existing funeral home on Main Street, Deckerville in May 1979. The original funeral home was established in 1909. 2019 marked our 40th year of serving the families that call us and will represent 110 years of funeral service in Deckerville and the surrounding area.
Mr. Apsey is a first generation funeral director; however his father, Dale Apsey, moved to Deckerville in 1947 and established the Jewel Box jewelry store in partnership with Eugene W. Carman, the funeral director in Deckerville at that time, and the grandson of the original founder of the funeral home. The jewelry store was located on the front of the building that is the funeral home today, with the funeral facility operating in the rear of the building.
In 1960 Dale Apsey sold out the jewelry store, and with the changes in funeral service at that time, as families started using the funeral home for visitation rather than the family home, the jewelry store was remodeled and incorporated into the funeral home.
Part of the remodeling included one of the first off street parking lots in Sanilac County. Prior to that time, the cars forming the funeral procession were lined up on Main Street by backing each car into the curb on an angle.